Followers

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Necessary components

Last post I covered the equipment you'll need to get your brew started. Now I'm going to cover the ingredients. As always, I urge you to buy your equipment and supplies from a local brew shop and support your hometown brewing community. If there isn't a shop around or they don't carry the right stuff, by all means, take to the internet. There are a ton of websites from which you can order your goods. Anyhow, on to the post!



#1 - Yeast

This is the magic organism that'll take your sugar and turn it into alcohol. It also releases carbon dioxide from which beer gets it's carbonation (most soft drinks also contain alcohol as part of the brewing process, though only about 1% or so). There are many different varieties to choose from; ale yeast, lager yeast, and champagne yeast being only a few of them. If this is your first time brewing beer, pay attention to the recipe and follow it exactly. Don't start mucking about with things until after you have gained considerable experience.

#2 - (Hopped) Malt syrup

While some people like to make their malt and hop it and all that.... I'm lazy. I want the beer as quickly and simply as possible. Thus, I use hopped malt syrup. All I do is follow the directions on the can, plop it into my carboy, and I'm good to go. I may do a how to guide on hopping your own malt and all of that, but I'll save it for a point far into the future.

#3 - Corn sugar


Aside from the sugar in the malt, this is what will be supplying the yeast with fermentable material. Grab at least a 3 or 4 lbs. bag. If you don't use it all, you will next time.

This is all you will need for a basic brew. If you're following a recipe, be sure to grab whatever else it demands and follow it exactly unless you have a ton of experience with brewing already. You don't want to make a mistake and ruin your hard work or capital investment.

Next post I'll go over what equipment you'll need to bottle your brew.

- James

*Pictures taken from google

6 comments:

  1. looking forward to your next post

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's interesting. Waiting for the next post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Long time ago, i tried to make mead, but it was a total disaster.

    Do i need to be an expert to make my own beer?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Canute#13

    Not at all! You just have to be careful and stick to a recipe. Charging in with no plan is a common reason for failure with anything. What exactly was the problem? Did it taste bad?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy a nice cold beer...
    I think I'll just buy a cold 30 of Blue Light.
    Come check out my page, :)
    we have similar interests!
    +Followed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks good. i have never had much luck with this myself.

    ReplyDelete